Countdown to Reservations End Date
This one day online conference will discuss the next steps for delivery of high-quality maths education in England and what is needed to support the workforce to boost quality in maths education and attainment in students across the cohort.
Delegates will discuss issues in the context of the recovery of maths education following the pressures of the pandemic on teaching and learning.
The conference will also be an opportunity to consider findings in Ofsted’s research review of maths education, which is looking at best practice in curriculum design, teaching, assessment and student motivation, and how disparities in outcomes for students can be reduced.
Keynote contributions will be heard from:
• Professor Andrew Noyes, Professor of Education, University of Nottingham; and Chair, Joint Mathematical Council of the UK
• Andreas Schleicher, Director for the Directorate of Education and Skills, OECD
• Dr David Mallows, Associate Professor, UCL Institute of Education Centre for Applied Linguistics
• Karen McGuigan, Founder, Maths For Life Programme.
Sessions in the agenda will look at:
• numeracy in the wake of the pandemic and priorities for supporting catch-up in maths
• addressing the attainment gap and delivering choice and variety for learners with different needs
• strengthening foundational maths knowledge
• best practice in designing and teaching curricula and improving the quality of teaching
• the qualifications system for maths and supporting progress into further study and employment
• England’s performance in numeracy skills and measuring attainment against international benchmarks
• maximising the contribution of maths education to the UK economy and meeting skills needs.
This is a full-scale conference taking place online and will include:
• full, four-hour programme including comfort breaks with a full recording and transcript to refer back to
• information-rich discussion involving key policymakers and stakeholders
• conference materials provided in advance, including speaker biographies
• speakers presenting via webcam, accompanied by slides if they wish, using the Cisco WebEx professional online conference platform
• opportunities for live delegate questions and comments with all speakers
• a recording of the addresses, all slides cleared by speakers, and further materials are made available to all delegates afterwards as a permanent record of the proceedings
• delegates are able to add their own written comments and articles following the conference, to be distributed to all attendees and more widely
• networking too - there will be opportunities for delegates to e-meet and interact.
Full information and guidance on how to take part will be sent to delegates before the conference.